Definitions of a special forces vary around the world. Some countries list them as the most elite soldiers in their armed forces. On the other hand, some countries regard them as armed forces performing some special tasks assigned to them. Whatever the definition, it's true that the best soldiers from across the country are recruited into these forces.
Almost every country in the world has at least one special forces unit in its armed forces. There are many factors that affect the efficiency of these armed forces such as: E.g. the equipment they use, experience, etc. In today's post, we take a look at the 10 best special forces in the world in 2022.
The 10 best special forces in the world 2022
Here is our list of the best special forces in the world. We took a variety of factors into account when compiling this list of the 2022 World's Most Dangerous Armed Forces.
10. Special Intervention Group, Italy (GIS, Italy)
- Country - Italy
- Size: at least 100 commands
- Headquarters – Livorno
- Popular engagements: Operation Alba, Kosovo War, War in Afghanistan, Lead Years
- Motto: In den Centuries Fields ("Loyal through the Centuries"), Silenziosi come la notte swift come la folgore ("As still as the night, as swift as lightning")
- Current Commander: Colonel Gianluca Feroce
- Overview: The Gruppo di Intervento Speciale (GIS) is the special forces unit of the Italian Armed Forces. They are responsible for military and civilian operations. The unit is famous for its anti-terrorist operations and security services protecting dignitaries, leaders and dignitaries. Apart from that, the unit has also been involved in various wars including Balkans, Afghanistan, Iraq, Horn of Africa etc.
9. Alpha Group, Russia
- Country - Russia
- Size: around 250 to 300 commands
- Typ – Spetsnaz
- Popular engagements: First Chechen war, Second Chechen war, hostage crisis at the Moscow theater, hostage crisis at the school in Beslan
- Role: Special Forces, Counter Terrorism, Hostage Rescue, Law Enforcement, Special Reconnaissance
- Current commander - Colonel Valery Kanakin
- Overview: The official name of the Russian special forces of the Alpha Group is Directorate "A" of the Center for Special Purposes of the FSB (TsSN FSB). This force is dedicated to fighting terrorism, which prevents and responds to acts of violence on public transportation and buildings. As of 2018, nine Alpha officers were awarded the Hero of the Russian Federation title. The unit has already performed some crucial tasks for the government of the Russian Federation.
8. British Special Air Service (SAS) Group, UK
- Country – United Kingdom
- Size - Three regiments
- Head Office - RHQ, Stirling Lines, Hereford, UK
- Popular engagements: Operation Husky, Operation Crusader, Operation Avalanche, Operation Candytuff.
- Motto - Who dares, wins
- Commander - Field Marshal Lord Guthrie
- Overview: The Special Air Service (SAS) is a special forces unit of the British Army. Founded in 1941, the unit played a crucial role in World War II. The unit already plays an important role in the security of the UK. This commando unit fulfills many tasks, e.g. B. Counter-terrorism, hostage rescue, direct action and covert reconnaissance.
7. Joint Force Task 2 (JTF 2), Kanada
- Land – Canada
- Size - Classified
- Sede - Ottawa
- Popular Missions: War in Kosovo, War in Afghanistan, Operation Impacto
- Motto: "Actions not words"
- Current commander - Michael Rouleau
- Overview: Joint Task Force 2 is an elite special forces unit of the Canadian Armed Forces, reporting to the Canadian Special Operations Forces Command. The unit has already taken part in many counter-terrorist operations at home and abroad. The Government of Canada does not release many details about this force. But it is true that Joint Force Task 2 or JTF 2 plays an important role in securing Canada's interest.
6. Special Service Group (SSG), Pakistan
- Land – Pakistan
- Size - Classified
- Sede – Basis Ghazi, Tarbela, Attock-Punjab
- Popular engagements: Kashmir conflict, Siachen conflict, Soviet-Afghan War, etc.
- Motto - I am Vailant
- Current Commander - Major Adil Rehmani
- Overview: The Special Service Group or SSG is the special operations unit of the Pakistan Army. They are also known by the name "Maroon Berets". The force got its name because of the helmets worn by its command. The Pakistan Army's Strategic Forces Command (ASFC) is responsible for the administration of the SSG. Pakistan Army and Government do not provide much information on SSG activities. Apart from Kashmir conflict, the unit has also played an important role in operations like Afghanistan conflict, Soviet Afghanistan war, Pakistan sectarian conflicts etc.
5. Intervention Group of the National Gendarmerie (GIGN), France
- Country France
- Size: about 1000
- Sede-Satory, Yvelines, France
- Popular engagements: 2015 Ile-de-France attacks (2015), Air France flight 8969 hijacking (1994), Ouvéa cave hostage recovery (1988), Grand Mosque confiscation (1979)
- Motto – A lifetime commitment
- Current commander - Ghislain Réty
- Overview: GIGN, France, was founded in 1973 after the Munich massacre. This unit of the French Armed Forces plays a crucial role in countering terrorism, rescuing hostages, protecting government officials and fighting organized crime.
4. Sayeret Matkal, Israel
- Land – Israel
- Size - Classified
- Sede - Sur of Israel
- Popular Missions: Yom Kippur War, Operation Entebbe, South Entebbe, First Intifada
- Motto: Who dares to win?
- Current Commander - NA
- General Description: Sayeret Matkel's official name is Staff Reconnaissance Unit 269. It is the main special forces unit of the IDF (Israel Defense Forces). It is equivalent to the US Army's 1st SFOD-D (Delta Force) and reports directly to the Special Operations Division of the IDF Military Intelligence Directorate. According to many experts, this Sayeret-Matkal unit is modeled after the British Army's Special Air Service (SAS).
3. MARCOS, Indian
- Country – If
- Size: approx. 2000 (exact number remains secret)
- Sitz – INS Karna, Vishakapatnam, India
- Popular Engagements: Operation Cactus, Operation Leech, Operation Pawan, Kargil War, Operation Black Tornado, Operation Cyclone, Counterinsurgency Operations in Kashmir
- Motto: the few, the fearless
- Nicknames: Magarmach (The Crocodiles), Dadhiwala Fauj (The Bearded Army)
- General Description: Officially designated "Marine Commando Force" (MCF), it is popularly known as MARCOS. Established in 1987, the force has already participated in specialized operations such as Operation Cactus, Operation Leech, Kargil War, Operation Black Tornado, etc. Marcos specializes in naval operations and is capable of conducting operations in all types of terrain. The troops regularly take part in joint exercises.
2. Navy SEALs, USA
- Country – United States of America
- Size: unknown
- Headquarters - Naval Amphibious Base Coronado
- Popular Engagements: Operation Just Cause, Operation Nifty Package, Somalia Civil War, Operation Red Wing, Operation Desert Storm,
- Motto: "The only easy day was yesterday" "It pays to be a winner." "Never Out of Combat".
- Current Commander - Eric T. Olson
- Overview: "Navy Seals" is one of the best special forces in the world. This unit gained notoriety in 2011 when Osama Bin Laden was killed in Abbottabad. SEALs are trained to conduct small-unit special operations in maritime, jungle, urban, arctic, mountain, and desert environments. Seals are usually concerned with capturing or eliminating high-value targets or gathering intel behind enemy lines.
1st Special Forces, United States
- Country – United States
- Size - Exact numbers unknown
- Base - MacDill AFB, Florida, USA. UU.
- Popular Engagements: Operation Earnest Will, Invasion of Panama, Gulf War, Unified Task Force, Operation Gothic Serpent
- Rolle - Functional Combatant Command
- Current Commander: General Richard D. Clarke, EE. UU.
- Overview: The United States Special Operations Forces (SOF) are the special forces of the United States of America (USA). It operates under the US Department of Defense United States Special Operations Command (USSOCOM) within the US Armed Forces. In contrast to other special units, the number of members of this special unit is very high. This unit is involved in many important roles such as direct action, special reconnaissance, counter-terrorism, external defense, unconventional warfare, psychological warfare, civil affairs, and counter-narcotics operations.
- Richest Lawyers in the World 2022-2023: Top Ten List
- List of Top 10 Water Parks in India 2022
- Top 10 richest rappers in the world 2022 by net worth
- The 10 richest athletes in the world 2022-2023
- The 10 Best Thanksgiving Foods 2022: The Best Thanksgiving Foods